When you start a healthy diet and workout routine, everyone will recommend you to include fresh vegetables in your meals. We all know the vitamins and nutrients that the fresh vegetables contain. But what happens in extra-season? Should we still look for fresh vegetables? Or are the canned vegetables a healthy alternative?
First of all, when you choose canned vegetables, it is very important to carefully read the label. Below you can find some guidelines that will help you choose the right canned vegetables:
- Choose the vegetables that have been canned with low salt or even no salt.
- Choose BPA-free canned vegetables.
- Choose the cans that are free of bulging ends, rust, are leaking or have flawed seals.
What are the advantages of canned vegetables?
- Good price. If you do a quick research you will see that the canned vegetables are considerably cheaper than the fresh vegetables. Their price is usually one-fifth of the cost of fresh vegetables. If you want to buy for fresh vegetables outside the local season, then the price difference is even higher. Therefore, if you want to save some money and shop wisely, then the canned vegetables will help you a lot with this option.
- Variety. Especially in the winter season, it is more difficult to find good fresh vegetables. Therefore, when you want to have variety on your table at an affordable price, the canned vegetables are a good alternative.
- They are sometimes a healthier alternative. Although the fresh vegetables have more nutrients and vitamins than the canned vegetables when you do your shopping things are quite different. The fresh vegetables contain the maximum proportion of vitamins when they are freshly collected. However, since they are collected, they are transported to the store or to a different country and are exposed to light in the hypermarket. Therefore, they lose some of the nutrients during all this process. On the other hand, the canned vegetables are processed immediately after they are ripped. This means that the level of nutrients is at their maximum level.
- FDA supports the consumption of canned vegetables. The experts recommend this alternative off-season, mentioning that they have the same nutrients as the freshly ripped vegetables.
What is the conclusion at the end of this article? Vegetables represent an important element of a healthy diet. Nutritionists recommend a daily intake of fresh vegetables, combined with a balanced proportion of proteins. What is more, if you add more vegetables to your diet, your body will receive more nutrients and vitamins and so you will fortify your immunity system. As we mentioned above, the canned vegetables are recognized to contain the same level of nutrients as the fresh ones. Moreover, they bring one great advantage. They are cheaper than the fresh fruits. This means that you will be able to have a healthy diet on a considerably lower budget. Could you wish for more than that?